Monday, November 15, 2021

New Home, New Job, New Products and Ideas!!

 We moved! Wahoo!

Our family is SO excited to live in Montana. We feel like we are living the dream. When we decided this summer that moving was the best decision for our family, I didn't expect to find a teaching job for this current school year. We were quickly approaching September, and I figured smaller town Montana didn't need a music teacher - I would just keep my eyes open for opportunities for next school year. HOWEVER, there just happened to be ONE opening! What was it for? Middle School World Music. 

How many of you are like "What is world music?" That was me. Even after I got the job. I didn't have this class growing up. I never taught in a district that offered this class. I wasn't even prepped as a music ed. college student that this could be a position I could take. 

I asked my music colleagues in my current school and my principal what this class was. They were like, make it your own! The day after we moved into our new house, also the Wednesday before school started (You read that right!) I was able to go to my new school and see my classroom. I was relieved! Drums everywhere! Orff all over the place! Lots of unpitched percussion! Sweet!

Now, I was ready to figure out what I was going to teach the kids, who were starting in just a few days.  At first, I kept hearing that the previous teacher did a LOT with African Drumming. I knew this was a great place to start, but I couldn't imagine making a 12 week curriculum with just drumming. I love traveling and know how much amazing music our world has to offer. I decided to embrace the "World" part of world music and divided the trimester up into 6 regions of the world: Africa, Asia, Oceania, Europe, Latin America, and North America. I have been collecting ideas all trimester, saving those I love teaching and editing those that weren't as strong. I'll be sharing those ideas here on this blog. Let me know if you teach World Music, or want World Music ideas for your general music students!


No comments:

Post a Comment